Do people want/need/appreciate our subtitles?

A place for everything that does not suit other boards. Come in and join the conversations with all AKB48 fans.

Why people don't download our subs?

Subtitles are released too late (thus I don't care about those episodes anymore).
42%
Shows you are translating aren't interesting for me (NMB48 Geinin, SKE48 no Magical Radio, etc).
20%
Subtitles will be created regardless of subbing group, so no need to thank for them.
No votes
I don't need them (I understand well enough or episodes are simple enough to understand).
2%
I prefer watching them via streaming sites.
7%
I obtain them from other places (sites, blogs, etc, that reupload our subtitles, hard or soft)
5%
I don't think it is necessary to give thanks.
2%
Other reason, please explain.
23%

Total votes : 60

Do people want/need/appreciate our subtitles?

Postby et443 » 05 Nov 2012, 14:55

After some commentary yesterday in the IRC channel, I decided to delve deeper into this issue. Since we started, we have always noticed AKBINGO! is the most requested subtitle around, probably because it is AKB48's best known (and oldest running) program. In torrent sites AKBINGO! and Shuukan are the most downloaded varieties too. In all, it makes sense that whenever subtitles for AKBINGO! and Shuukan are released, there is a spike of downloads. We know our subtitles aren't the fastest released, but I also believe that a certain level of quality is necessary for subtitles.

What we have been noticing lately, though, is that we aren't receiving as much "feedback" as some of our staff members would like. This doesn't mean only not having critics about our subtitles, which we always welcome, but also behaviour of the community towards our subtitles. The least issue is that our release posts in the forums get few replies which I, personally, don't care that much. However, the subtitles aren't downloaded that much, and our Twitter, Facebook and Tumblr releases are shared too little (like 10 times, for example, for subtitles that are downloaded over 500 times). Which leads me to think that a) [our] subtitles are no longer needed; b) people don't appreciate the work we do; c) people are obtaining the subtitles by other means, even though they are completely free here. There are also a lot of people that keep asking for subtitles, which leads me to think they don't really appreciate our work, but instead treat us as paid workmen that must do what they want to do in order to get their approval, which is impossible (as soon as we release a subtitle those same people are already asking for the next one).

I know there are streaming sites using our subtitles, and that many prefer to watch subtitles in streaming than having to download the subtitle file. I know I cannot stop them from uploading our subs to streaming sites (or to share the subtitles themselves), however this impacts negatively on the motivation of some of the translators, which spend several hours translating episodes to see they are downloaded just 200 or 300 times.

So, I am asking here to see if it is just our appreciation (and whether that appreciation is incorrect) or there is indeed something that is happening that we are not aware of (maybe it is too hard to download, maybe subtitles are released too late when nobody wants them anymore, maybe people take them for granted and think that, if we don't sub it, someone else would do it, or maybe it's just that people aren't interested in other shows, just AKBINGO!, which truth to be told, is painful to watch and even more to translate as episodes have been becoming duller and duller.

PS: There is a reason that I didn't include, which is that you can't use our subtitles but instead rely on translations of our subtitles (for example, Indonesian people might wait until someone translates our subtitle into Indonesian). However, if you'd choose this option you wouldn't be able to read it anyways, so no need to include it. :P
et443
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

Re: Do people want/need/appreciate our subtitles?

Postby ryuchan11 » 05 Nov 2012, 15:18

Not sure if I can post here.
As for me, I do love your subs. :) The only matter is, your subs are lil bit late and sometimes, i'll find another place to download it. Usually I don't really care if they release it sooner or later but sometimes, there are few eps that are interesting to watch and I need the sub for it. But still, if you guys have released the subs, I'll download it even though I already have the sub for that episode coz I prefer your subs more.

And the other thing is, there are shows that aren't released by this fansub. I'm not going to request for it but I think this is one of the reason. Anyway, I still your works! I don't know about other people but for me, ProjectSUB48 is a good source of AKB subs.
ryuchan11

Postby krank » 05 Nov 2012, 15:33

I can only speak for myself, but anyway: I love your subs. Without fansubs, western J-pop fandom in general and AKB fandom in particular wouldn't be close to what it is today. I got into H!P through stumbling over random subbed Momusu clips on youtube, then graduating to downloading every subbed TV-appearance, gameshow, dorama etc etc. Similarly, AKB meant little to me until I downloaded and watched all subbed shows I could find.

This is also how fandom spreads. A friend of mine was passively tolerating me forcing him to watch Shuukan and AKBINGO every single time we met, finding the girls cute and the shows somewhat funny. Then he saw Shawako in that career-defining exam episode of Shuukan. Now he buys multiple copies of every single, and he recently went to Japan to see both AKB and SKE live (and got to shake her hand!). This would not have happened if some kind soul hadn't subbed those episodes.

Of course, this does not answer your question, but I felt it had to be said. What you do makes a huge difference, and I thank you for your diligent and hard work.
krank

Postby azurehawk » 05 Nov 2012, 15:33

Just share some of my thought, I think it's because AKB is the most popular group compared to the other sister group so AKB related show has biggest demand. I believe many people still don't really know much or care about SKE/NMB/HKT/JKT so they focus on AKB only. I also believe many people started to like and know AKB from AKBINGO, making it a very popular show... However, I also agree that AKBINGO is getting dull recently though...

It is sad, but maybe shows like Geinin or Magical Radio is not even bothered by them. It's not because they are not interesting, but rather people still don't know and don't really want to check the show...
azurehawk

Postby grapu » 05 Nov 2012, 15:46

Thanks a lot to projectsub48, i got to know a lot of AKB stuff, mainly from AKBINGO and Shukan AKB. It's better now because of the twitter update of what sub being released so i don't have to check every day. Since it's been a long time already since you release another episode of AKBINGO, i get the sub from another website (AIDOL)

But now, thanks to you guys subbing Geinin! (and the release of the sub itself were very fast!) I'm checking projectsub48 back regularly again.

Please don't mind the negative comments by the minority, a lot of people out there still waiting for you to sub any 48-related show. Maybe it's just their limitation in English (like me) hindered them to give comment/appreciation here, just like how our limitation in Japanese hinders us from watching the show directly without sub :D

Keep up the good work guys, keep spreading the 48-love - thanks to you guys, a lot of people out there is getting their supply of happiness ;)

Otsukaresamadeshita!
grapu

Postby grapu » 05 Nov 2012, 15:50

krank wrote:I can only speak for myself, but anyway: I love your subs. Without fansubs, western J-pop fandom in general and AKB fandom in particular wouldn't be close to what it is today. I got into H!P through stumbling over random subbed Momusu clips on youtube, then graduating to downloading every subbed TV-appearance, gameshow, dorama etc etc. Similarly, AKB meant little to me until I downloaded and watched all subbed shows I could find.

This is also how fandom spreads. A friend of mine was passively tolerating me forcing him to watch Shuukan and AKBINGO every single time we met, finding the girls cute and the shows somewhat funny. Then he saw Shawako in that career-defining exam episode of Shuukan. Now he buys multiple copies of every single, and he recently went to Japan to see both AKB and SKE live (and got to shake her hand!). This would not have happened if some kind soul hadn't subbed those episodes.

Of course, this does not answer your question, but I felt it had to be said. What you do makes a huge difference, and I thank you for your diligent and hard work.

+1 for this, had it not been for you guys subbing the show, i wouldn't delved myself into 48-world this deep haha. I still remember the first akbingo i watched subbed here was the AKBINGO125, the battle burger show which still leave a deep impression for me
grapu

Postby krunchie » 05 Nov 2012, 16:02

Yes we do appreciate the subs, I think it would be RUDE to say otherwise since there are only 2 subbing groups for this fandom (the whole 48 fandom) and any subtitles is godsend.

So in short, yes we need/want/appreciate your subtitles.

Sorry if its quite short but it's all I need to say.
krunchie

Postby chinaflying » 05 Nov 2012, 16:05

It's my first time posting even though I have been downloading your sub for a while.
I'm part of the French fansub team AKBgirls48 and I would like to express appreciation from my team and French fans to your work through that post.

Akbingo is in fact the most long-running program of AKB but myAidol already works on them. Therefore I don't think there is any need for you guys to focus on such shows. For me, myaidol works on Akbingo and AKB1/48 confession and ProjectSUB48 focus on AKB's sister groups. Moreover I agree that AKBingo has been becoming duller and duller.
I would even say that your subs are most welcome because it's usually for very interesting shows that aren't cover by other teams like Geinin, Magical Radio or the Kinsmap. You guys add a great diversity to AKB's English fansub. Those are very great shows and in my opinion it doesn't matter really if you release it late or early as long you release it.
I, myself, watch the show once even though my Japanese level is very low and then a second time when you release the subtitle.
My team has also just recently released a French version of "Show must go on" and we are working on the Bimyo.
Anyways you guys have been working quite fast especially on the documentary release considering how much time it involves.

There isn't much to do about the quality of your subtitles since they have been always great. It worths to wait for it.

Please keep up with the amazing work and spreading AKB's love.
chinaflying

Postby gurugurumawaru » 05 Nov 2012, 16:13

let me share my thoughts..
if the outcomes of this polling will bring negative impact or somehow let you down, please, with any respect, please stop it... please
as for me, ProjectSUB48 is taking a big part in my fandom life.. i always waiting gladly for your subs.. and i know there are lot of fans out there feel the same..
so please don't think you aren't needed... even there are other subs out there, ProjectSUB48 always be my first choice... i don't mind which shows it is, because every shows in this fandom are interesting for me... and i need your subs to make it complete...
i don't see any reason for complaining about late released subs, since my japanese is not that good and i love to watch the shows again with your subs to perfectly understand it..
i understand what you feel and the reason for make this poll, but once again, whatever people say, please, don't stop
maybe this sounds cliche but this is the truth
so thanks for your subs and keep the great work
gurugurumawaru

Postby oister » 05 Nov 2012, 16:40

I think the subs here are of very high quality, which if awesome for dramas and skits like in Magical Radio and MJSK. I'm thankful that you guys existed, because without your MJSK subs I would have never ventured into the realms of AKB, and much less SKE. And fans would never have been able to understand the epicness of shows like Magical Radio and Geinin. I don't know about the popularity of these shows among the fandom, but, really, they are the only shows that i actively wait for.

I must admit, however, that I am guilty of watching subbed shows on streaming sites because it is more convenient and space saving. The subs here are soft-subs, which means that additional effort is required to obtain the raws, then find the matching subs, as opposed to hardsubs where fans can just download them directly out of some website in one click. Also, with AKBingo, I would have to know exactly which episode I want to watch before loading them otherwise I end up with duplicates of the same episodes I've already watched. I think including a short description of the episode would be helpful for people to know what they're getting and possibly download more(?)
oister

Next

Return to General