I have a suggestion and question for ProjectSUB48!

A place for everything that does not suit other boards. Come in and join the conversations with all AKB48 fans.

I have a suggestion and question for ProjectSUB48!

Postby lynn » 18 Oct 2011, 23:49

1) well i dont know if this has been asked before but why dont you guys upload the video with the subtitles on a website like vimeo, youtube or veoh? im sure it would raise awareness of this site. (i recommend using vimeo)

2) i would suggest a collab with http://www.myaidol.com/ who are also subbing akb48's videos (but not just akb48, nmb48 and i think others too) but they also upload videos with subtitles (<--- makes it so much easier for fans to watch).
for example, if you guys and the myaidol staff allow it, they could help upload videos with your subtitles on it.

3)can i have permission to upload videos with your subs on it?

i would be willing to help in anyway i can! :D
lynn

Re: I have a suggestion and question for ProjectSUB48!

Postby et443 » 19 Oct 2011, 03:00

Hi there, thanks for your suggestion.

At the beginning I considered using a streaming site to put our subtitles. However, in the end decided against it for several reasons. First of all, you need to maintain the videos online, which means having to check they are still available and reupload them if they were taken down. If they are taken down, it means someone from the AKB management decided to take it down, and I am really against that cat'n rat game of reuploading when it is obvious management didn't want it online. Same with ddl sites. I got better things to do. Then, hardsubbing usually means typesetting, and I am in general against it since it is, in my point of view, completely worthless. Some will complain the letters are very small, others that they are big, others that they can't follow the flow and want comments in the top, etc. So, we provide the subtitle so that you can use them in the video you downloaded, in TV, PC or mobile phone. That brings another issue, if you hardcode in a stream, the users are limited to that resolution.

I always leave a door open, though, so maybe one day you might find our subtitles in streams, but I am not that interested in that for now.

I guess we could raise the awareness of this site if I were to contract Google Ads for a couple of months too, but truth be told, the overseas AKB48 fandom is not as big as some might believe, and there aren't that many people subbing AKB48, so anyone interested will eventually find us. Contrary to Stage48, Nihongogo, Everyday48, Aidol and others, I am not trying to build a community here. I am not interested in moderating posts, posting news, etc, etc, and I think none of the ones working with us wants to babysit a forum either. People are free to come and post stuff, of course, my goal isn't to do that. You can see our site is extremely simple, and I like it that way.

A collaboration might happen, we are collaborating polishing the English version of KSK48 subtitles after all. However, for now I don't see that possible.

And you don't have permission to upload the videos with our subs in (although I know there are some who don't care about what we say and upload them anyways, or add typesetting and then upload them as if they were theirs, etc). The English version of the subtitles are to be downloaded from here, it is the only condition we put for people to enjoy them, and I hope people respect it.
et443
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

Postby Nagoya48 » 19 Oct 2011, 15:16

I agree with you except about the hardsub. Typesetting is easy. Just put the font to Arial, size 25, color yellow, outline 3-4, and probably no one will complain. They always complained when a fansubs overdoing it like setting a specific font to each character. It's kinda annoying, I have to admit.

And I think you should consider releasing a hardsub in torrent. You should never go for a stream. Unless you want to release a subbed clip. But not with a full episode. Torrent is better. And I'm not suggesting you release everything in torrent. Just something like Majisuka 2 or Mousou Deka. Something that already above 3 months old and noone actually download the softsub anymore. Having those shows in D-addicts or Hello-online will bring awareness to this site. And if you lucky, you get 1 or 2 more experience translators willing to join you. The bad side is, someone definitely gonna stream your sub without your permission (DramaCrazy).

Other than that. I think you guys did a good job with the sub. Thanks.
Nagoya48

Postby et443 » 19 Oct 2011, 17:12

I have considered uploading softsubs to D-Addicts (that you can turn on/off), or maybe multiple language support (for example, adding the subtitles for Spanish, French and English in a video). And something I learned is that it is hard to get good translators that are interested in AKB48. A translator who isn't interested will eventually leave the project, more often in the middle of something important.

Translators are always welcomed, and of course if someone who knows both English and Japanese wants to join, he will be accepted. But I am afraid what we lack now is people doing QA.
et443
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

Postby lynn » 19 Oct 2011, 17:22

et443 wrote:Hi there, thanks for your suggestion.

At the beginning I considered using a streaming site to put our subtitles. However, in the end decided against it for several reasons. First of all, you need to maintain the videos online, which means having to check they are still available and reupload them if they were taken down. If they are taken down, it means someone from the AKB management decided to take it down, and I am really against that cat'n rat game of reuploading when it is obvious management didn't want it online. Same with ddl sites. I got better things to do. Then, hardsubbing usually means typesetting, and I am in general against it since it is, in my point of view, completely worthless. Some will complain the letters are very small, others that they are big, others that they can't follow the flow and want comments in the top, etc. So, we provide the subtitle so that you can use them in the video you downloaded, in TV, PC or mobile phone. That brings another issue, if you hardcode in a stream, the users are limited to that resolution.

I always leave a door open, though, so maybe one day you might find our subtitles in streams, but I am not that interested in that for now.

I guess we could raise the awareness of this site if I were to contract Google Ads for a couple of months too, but truth be told, the overseas AKB48 fandom is not as big as some might believe, and there aren't that many people subbing AKB48, so anyone interested will eventually find us. Contrary to Stage48, Nihongogo, Everyday48, Aidol and others, I am not trying to build a community here. I am not interested in moderating posts, posting news, etc, etc, and I think none of the ones working with us wants to babysit a forum either. People are free to come and post stuff, of course, my goal isn't to do that. You can see our site is extremely simple, and I like it that way.

A collaboration might happen, we are collaborating polishing the English version of KSK48 subtitles after all. However, for now I don't see that possible.

And you don't have permission to upload the videos with our subs in (although I know there are some who don't care about what we say and upload them anyways, or add typesetting and then upload them as if they were theirs, etc). The English version of the subtitles are to be downloaded from here, it is the only condition we put for people to enjoy them, and I hope people respect it.

Thanks for replying :D

Ok well i do understand your reasons for not uploading to streaming sites but if it's countinuously reuploading that you really don't want to do, i dont think the site vimeo removes many videos (i havent come across anything uploaded by myaidol site that has been blocked so far anyway) and using a password such as projectsub48 and only giving the video link on this site seems like a good idea(i guess i am a bit biased >_<). However, if the videos do repeatedly get removed, i would understand not continuing with it.

Also, i wasnt suggesting you should try to build a community or anything like that but maybe, by collaborating with myaidol.com, they would help maintain the videos on the site for you guys.

Btw I wont upload your subs to any sites because i am very greatful for your hard work. because i didnt say it before, thanks for the subs :)
lynn

Postby IAMGUNDAM » 23 Oct 2011, 13:19

Hi, I'm one of the staff at Aidol. Unfortunately, we only upload our videos to streaming sites because of very popular demand (at one point we were going to stop streaming because it got too hard). The fact of the matter is that vimeo, although they don't take down videos as vehemently as youtube etc, imposes a traffic quota over each account. So if we were to attempt to maintain more releases at a time, some of our viewers would get blocked. We have thought about other streaming sites but they each have their own little problems and the last thing we'd want to receive is a cease and desist letter. I hope you understand, lynn =X
IAMGUNDAM

Postby lynn » 23 Oct 2011, 18:23

IAMGUNDAM wrote:Hi, I'm one of the staff at Aidol. Unfortunately, we only upload our videos to streaming sites because of very popular demand (at one point we were going to stop streaming because it got too hard). The fact of the matter is that vimeo, although they don't take down videos as vehemently as youtube etc, imposes a traffic quota over each account. So if we were to attempt to maintain more releases at a time, some of our viewers would get blocked. We have thought about other streaming sites but they each have their own little problems and the last thing we'd want to receive is a cease and desist letter. I hope you understand, lynn =X

oh i understand.. although if im honest, i do find it disappointing. however, i will keep using both sites so thanks for your help.
lynn

Postby mayuyusuki » 25 Dec 2011, 22:48

Its great that there's a place we can grab subs from, but I was wondering about the video files. Would it be possible to link each sub to the corresponding video file, particularly MU or MF? I only know 2 sources, d-addicts and jpopsuki, and both are contingent on torrents which make it tough to grab older episodes. Thanks!
mayuyusuki

Postby et443 » 25 Dec 2011, 23:13

We only link to PVs since we release them hardcoded. For other subs, we release only the subtitle files, so we don't link to them. Since there are quite a number of resources (Hello Online, AKB48 Online, lots of LiveJournal pages, etc) we just include the full name of the file we used to time the subtitle. So, you would only need to google that name to find from where to download it.
et443
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

Postby mayuyusuki » 25 Dec 2011, 23:55

Thanks so much! Now I know where to go and how to find them, exactly what I needed!
mayuyusuki

Next

Return to General