SD/Release Inquiry

A place for everything that does not suit other boards. Come in and join the conversations with all AKB48 fans.

SD/Release Inquiry

Postby Riot1 » 13 Mar 2011, 08:50

Just wanted to ask...

I've seen a lot of people with a Subtitle Developer tag, but I'm wondering how many are actual "translators" from the group?

Warning:
What I said below might sting. If you're the type to get butt-hurt easily, don't read, don't whine.
Highlight to view.

I know it's not nice to compare, but there's this 5-man team (somewhere) who can release pretty quick (1-2 eps/week / not AKB-related stuff though) but with sub48's many SDs, I'm wondering why updates are slow. I know this is easy to say for someone who can't translate/encode/typeset, but that's just how we see it. Personal life/school can be a reason, but every people have it.

PS: If someone wants to reply, please do it in a mature way, let's avoid YouTube-style of commenting. thx.
Riot1

Re: SD/Release Inquiry

Postby et443 » 13 Mar 2011, 12:40

Hey there, there are around 15 people who have translated for us, so they could be considered translators.
et443
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

Postby Bidouleroux » 14 Mar 2011, 01:07

Ya ET, make Kevin create some nice "translator", "timer", "QA" and "editor" groups (sub-groups?) and have them take priority over the "subtitle developer" group so that we can have our own shiny tags too :P
Bidouleroux
Translator
Translator

Postby maliciel » 14 Mar 2011, 04:04

I actually only sit around hoarding nuts.
maliciel
Timer
Timer

Postby Bidouleroux » 14 Mar 2011, 04:11

maliciel wrote:I actually only sit around hoarding nuts.

Hoarding nuts is a fine enterprise, especially in the southern hemisphere as it will be winter soon.
Bidouleroux
Translator
Translator

Postby Bidouleroux » 14 Mar 2011, 05:12

Oh, I forgot to read the hidden text ^^; silly me.

A dedicated team of five individuals with good skills in their respective fields and with lots of time on their hands can release this fast no doubt. Heck, in the beginning we were probably 7-8 very active members too, in fact, and we managed to release, what 30 episodes in 8 weeks? That's more than 3 a week from a new team. We had to build this site, coordinate everyone (we're not all in the same area duh!) and learn to work with each other. We're still doing all that in fact.

But the problems really start when you want quality and most of your translators do not have English as their first language and you don't have enough QAs/editors to go around. This makes QA a big bottleneck. We have more translated episode than we can QA/edit. Whereas we would preferably want one editor per show, we only have two for the whole project right now and I think we have just as many translators, timers and QAs as we have shows. A ratio of one translator/timer per show is fine, but you'd want at least the same for editors. For QAs, the more eyes the better (as long as they're not blind of course).

tl;dr WE NEED MORE QAs DAMMIT :P

EDIT: I'm a translator by the way. Hi. And no, I won't translate that for you. Unless you're a cute girl. Then we can talk.
Bidouleroux
Translator
Translator

Postby maliciel » 14 Mar 2011, 06:48

I AM A GIRL TRANSLATE THIS HILARIOUSLY COMPLICATED TEXT FOR ME PLZ
maliciel
Timer
Timer

Postby et443 » 14 Mar 2011, 09:08

Hehehe, to expand on what Bidouleroux said (since I cannot sleep tonight), we have 43 subtitles in different stages (I think a couple in translation, a few in timing, and a whole lot like 30 or so in QA/editing). Plus 17 subtitles waiting to start. So, we are [over]working. Sometimes people forget that we are just 2 months old. We were born on January 9 (I posted the call for help on January 8, but everything started rolling on the following day), so today March 14 we are 64 days old. In this time we have released 31 subtitles, that means we are releasing almost one subtitle every couple of days. That is 2-4x what your 5-men group are doing, and we are probably a fraction of age than them. Does that group follow a massive group appearing in lots of TV programs? Do they focus in a single program, or cover everything? Are they doing doramas, that require a higher quality than variety shows? Or are they even doing variety shows, that are insanely hard to translate and time with their bad edition and signs everywhere? Or do they do anime, which is much simpler to translate?

Now, I understand if you are only interested in AKBINGO!, it will be slow because we are delayed with it. Same with other variety shows. The only show we are virtually up to date is Mousou Deka because it is just 10 minutes and can be checked fast. We could release faster, but we are not only releasing raws for people to watch them, but also we are a translation hub, many groups (AKBGirls48, Haromoni, AKB48 Friends, AKB Sanjou, Idol48vn, THAISUB, DMF, Subtitulados, etc, etc) use our own subtitles to translate to their languages, and providing them with a low quality copy would only make their own copies even worse, thus undermining in their community the trust they have deposited in us.

I am not looking for 100% perfect subs, but I want to maintain a certain level of quality. Unfortunately, that level is hard to achieve when you have so many inactive QAs. Many of the ones we have accepted are not up to the task, and I am forced to remove them from the group and continue searching for others. I always thought translation would be the bottleneck, but no, it is QA. And we will continue to have this bottleneck until we can gather a QA group that can check subtitles regularly.

Comparing to other groups that do half the work we do and are probably much older only boost our belief that we are doing a good job. As you say, it is easy to criticize, and everyone has the right to do so (and I accept critics heartily). By the way, don't speak for others unless they are ready to post here and agree with you.
et443
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

Postby et443 » 14 Mar 2011, 09:30

By the way, I don't come from the fansub community. I have seldom fansubbed before (and never released anything, it was aimed at friends/relatives who wanted to watch stuff with me but didn't understand English). I come from the programming world, where different rules apply. This gives me a different perspective. If I were to release a program that has a bad interface or that hangs often, people wouldn't use it, they would throw it away as soon as they find a replacement. That is what would happen if we were to start releasing bad subtitles and another group started offering high quality ones.

We don't fight to release first, to tease others about being slow, or to feel that we have won something. That is not what the group is about. We are spreading the *48 love around. Nobody was doing it when I decided to do it, and did something instead of wondering why nobody did. I understand fans want more, faster. But for now, fans will have to understand that we are still growing and adjusting our internal methods, and that could take several months more.
et443
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

Return to General